Thursday, March 5, 2015

Besties

Diva at BeyondBabyBellyEnvy.blogspot.com has inspired me to finally post about some baby products that I love and one (couldn't think of more) that I find pointless. I have not been paid to review these products, these are all products that I have used or am using with my baby and my words are based on my own personal experiences. I'm sure there are plenty o' people who disagree but, here are my thoughts....

1. Halo Blanket Sleepsacks

When Kyle was little, (I say that lIke he isn't still a baby!), I would use blankets on him while he slept. He was rarely out of my sight and he really didn't move. He slept and cried. That's about it. So I saw no harm in it. Until one night I woke up to find the blanket over his head. Queue Mommy freak out!! He was fine, I recovered and to this day I have no idea how he did this! Ever since that day we started using these Sleepsacks. The swaddle one is great for little ones because the velcro is so strong he had a hard time wiggling out of it. My only complaint is that he's a hot sleeper so often it was too warm for him. I know Halo also makes a cotton one so that may have worked better in retrospect. We use the non-swaddle one now and it has been perfect for keeping him warm during this cold snowy New England winter. I even found another one at the thrift store for 75 cents!!!

image via amazon.com
image via amazon.com

2. Muslin Swaddle Blankets

These are great even though Kyle hates to be swaddled. They are lightweight, stretchy and really soft. I find that they are so versatile I never leave home without one. Infact the other day I found 3 balled up in my purse bag. No wonder I couldn't find any for daycare! They also work well as a cover up for nursing a nosey baby or tucked around a wiggly baby to help him calm down while nursing. 
image via amazon.com

3. Dreft 

This is the first on my not-so-favorite list. It's not that it does a bad job or it smells bad, it's just that it costs more than the birth of my son!! I bought a bottle before he was born and washed his things in it originally but that was the last time I used it. I suppose I should use it up! We wash his things with our perfume-free, dye-free detergent and have never had a problem. Infact we throw his things with our things to wash all the time. Personally I can't see paying the extra dough for this one. 
image via amazon.com

4. Dr. Browns Bottles

I love my Dr. Browns. My baby is gassy but rarely even needs to be burped when we use this bottle. It's really good at getting the air out before it gets to the baby. My personal favorite are the glass bottles. There is something about plastic that makes me feel like it's never clean enough. However, we use the plastic for daycare because state law says no glass. Either way these bottles are awesome! The one down side is that there are lots of parts to wash and little holes on those parts so it does take extra time. But I've gotten very efficient with my bottle washing system and I don't even thinking about it anymore. 
image via amazon.com

5. Medela Nipple Shield (X-Small)

This little piece of plastic saved nursing for me. I have no doubt i would have given up if it wasn't for this. It was reccomended to me by my lactation consultant. Her exact words were "use this and all your problems will be fixed". I remember because I was so skeptical. But sure as shit, it worked! She reccomended the extra small for little mouths and it was amazing. I had two, just incase the dog ate one or I lost one. I definitely recommend getting two just so you don't have to keep washing one everytime you use it. The best part- it allowed us to keep nursing until one day I didn't need it anymore. Once he grew a little and learned how to latch, he started doing it on his own. So thankful for this thing!

image via amazon.com

6. Plain White Diapers

One bit of advice, don't worry when you wash them they won't feel like gauze anymore. I was nervous when I first opened the package because they felt like un-absorbent gauze pads. I almost returned them but decided since they were cheap enough to give them a shot. After I washed them, I realized that they were exactly what I was looking for. I love them. They are absorbant, thick and easy to wash. Not to mention cheap! I think I now own about 25 of them and we fly through them in a blink!

image via amazon.com



7. Philips Soothie

Kyle has never been crazy about pacifiers but if he uses one it has to be this one. He has zero interest in any other kind. I have a sweet picture of him using another kind when he was first born but it was an anomaly. Even this one isn't used often but when he gets worked up, especially in his car seat, this helps. Thank god. 



image via amazon.com



8. Baby D Drops

Breastfed babies need Vitamin D supplements. I had no idea but seems easy enough? Wrong!! Getting a baby, well my baby anyway, to take medicine out of a syringe is impossible. 1/2 of the sticky liquid ends up down the front of them and all over my hands. Until my friend told me about the concentrated drops!! Just put ONE!! Yes ONE little drop on your nipple, feed baby and wallah! Easy peezy!



9. Fisher Price Rock n' Play

Then there is the God of all things baby. The rock n play or the RNP as those who "know" call it. The day we bought this thing I was desperate. Kyle was not sleeping well. I was tired, in need of sleep, so I sold my soul and saved my sanity. I had heard great things about the RNP in the blogging community but the deal sealer came when, in target, a mom can over to me and said. "Just buy it". I laughed and asked her about it. She said it single handedly saved her when her son was a baby. She said it helped him STTN instantly. Sure enough! It was almost the same day. I'm a bit nervous that the transition out may be hard but I don't feel the need to change something that is working as long as it isn't harmful. His anatomy is fine, he is still under 1/2 the weight limit. He's happy. He's sleeping. I'm sleeping. I call this thing a win-win!!


Image via Amazon.com

7 comments:

  1. You know I'm there with you with the RNP passion!! We have a few of those sleep sacks but I still haven't used them because we still swaddle Millie...haaaa. Basically, we treat our 7 month old like a newborn. But she sleeps well, dangit, so why change?! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love reading other peoples must have baby items, even though we are now into the toddler stage! We used the RNP's for the twins first 3 months and then transitioned them to their cribs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seriously, the Rock N Play was the greatest invention ever! We had to transition her out at 4 months and I was so sad!! Love the swaddle blankets too, she didn't like to be swaddled but i used them for everything and anything!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What was the deciding factor for you to transition out of the RNP?

      Delete
  4. LOVE LOVE LOVE my muslin swaddle blankets. Never leave home without one! Love my Dr. Brown's too. For the plastic bottles, I had the same feelings as you like there was always some residue left. Now I use either Dapple baby bottle soap or Honest dish soap. They get them squeaky clean!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay! Thanks for sharing your faves. I think I have most of these products except that I'm using Honest Company instead of Dreft. And I think I bought the Joovy Boob bottles. I had no idea about the vitamin D so thanks for sharing that.

    ReplyDelete