Saturday, January 17, 2015

My Reward is a 3 Day Weekend

Now that it's over, this week wasn't that bad. I cried everyday but the length of time became less and less everyday. Of course everything that could go wrong did and everything that went right was hard fought. But I think we're getting the hang of this working mom thing.  

First of all, having my husband stay with him the first day back was key. Any ladies that are staring in the face of going back to work please do your heart a favor and plan this! I could call and get pictures all day long and it eased my mind knowing he was getting as much love as I would give him. Here's a few sample pics I received.....




As you can see they both had a PJ day. I think this day was also key for Steve. It was the first real day that I was away from baby and Steve was on his own. I have seen their bond strengthen so much this week with all the time they've spent together. That, my friends, makes my heart grow bigger. 

Secondly, Kyle is only going to daycare one day a week for the month of January. He'll be three months at the end of the month and for some reason, in my crazy irrational mind, I feel better about him going to daycare full time at three months. Plus we are broke as a joke right now with me having been off for the past 11 weeks on maternity leave. Come on Obama pass a paid maternity leave bill, we are the only country..... Ok, don't get me started. I will stop before I rant. Back to the childcare, I had two of the three people I had set up for the week cancel on me!!! Talk about stress! It was my first week back to work people! How dare you get sick!! I kid, I kid, but seriously, come on? It all worked out, we broke the bank and sprung for an extra day of daycare then I called in a few favors from AMAZING family & all was good. Phew... It was stressful. But I was able to get more photos when he was with family that were usually accompanied with captions like....

He's a real handful


Smiling and laughing all day wore me out...


Love my big cousin, sweet E...



Boy doesn't this kid ever sleep!!!!


The first day of daycare was tough on him in the sense that he was too nosey and having too much fun to sleep. So when he came home he slept the entire afternoon & night. I think he's been catching up on sleep all week. In fact he's been passed out on my chest for the last 2 1/2 hours. 


I think we BOTH needed it!! Daycare did win my heart over when they sent this home with him on his first day. 



Third, pumping is exhausting!! I pump three times a day and have to set my pump up each time. You have to gather all your supplies, plug in the pump, warm up the boob warmers in the microwave, put on the hands free bra and warmers and funnels, and I don't know about other people but pumping is a mental game. I can't just attach and forget about it because it doesn't 'flow'. I have to watch my let down and then focus to keep it flowing.  All the while people are eating lunch right outside the door because I pump in the bathroom in the staff lounge. I know legally I have to be provided a room that is not a bathroom but I suggested it and I really don't mind. They supply me with three 30 minute breaks during the day to take care of my responsibilities so I'm ok with it. There's a refrigerator and a microwave in the room too so it's just easier. The hardest pump is at the end of the day because I know I can leave as soon as I'm done. I'm barely pumping enough for him each day and sometimes I worry I won't give him enough as his needs change bum I'm  trying to keep going one step at a time and not think too far ahead. That brings me to my next point. 

You can't think too far ahead but you need to stay on top of everything. Every moment that I'm home and this kid isn't in my arms, I am doing something. Laundry, sweeping the floor, vacuuming the rug, dishes, bottles, lunches, it's never ending! You have to make sure that sometimes you consciously take time for yourself. Even if that means the laundry sits in the basket an extra day. 

And because I'm known for my eloquent well thought out endings, I leave you with the picture of my pickle today. Yes I said pickle. 


Too bad I ate it. Bet I could have made a buck on eBay. 







11 comments:

  1. Hahaha...the pickle! Yes, it's exhausting, isn't it? I am home four days a week, and I still feel like I am running around like crazy (of course I am gone for 12 hours on the days that I do work.
    Mia was home with Chad for the first couple weeks which was amazing. We also got photos from daycare for the first few weeks...we survived. I am glad you are too!
    Pumping is a ton of work isn't it? I am counting down the days...2 more months!
    Good luck lady! Enjoy the long weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh girl! I understand you on the pumping front. I pump 7 times a DAY! Haha. It's tiring and takes up a lot of time. Goodness! I'm so glad you decided to start a new blog to continue documenting life after infertility. Well, I guess we never get out of it, but at least we are on the other side :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hear you on the "doing something every minute" front. I went back to my corporate job when my son was 13 weeks old. Since then I feel like I haven't really sat still (Bub turned 1 last week). There are times, like now, where I intentionally DON'T do things so I can have some down time. I literally have a basket of unfolded laundry beside me.. and it's going to stay that way. Take the time you need!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After I wrote this I realized I had an unfolded basket of laundry dumped on the bed but I really wanted to sit down. Kyle has been glued to me all day and I needed some hands free time. So I put that laundry back in the basket snd I'll get it in the morning!

      Delete
  4. It sounds like you're doing awesome, Mama. You got the hang of this! You could have passed off that pickle as the virgin Mary.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your new blog and all the updates!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It sounds like you are a super mom! That's such a cute little craft they sent home for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been working for the past 5 weeks and we're still trying to find some kind of a schedule that works. You son looks just like you by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've been working for the past 5 weeks and we're still trying to find some kind of a schedule that works. You son looks just like you by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love these pics!! If you ever need me, just call! I would love to help out xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. just catching up on blogs finally -- love the pickle! and pumping is a huge pita!

    ReplyDelete